NAMI-MC offers an array of educational opportunities for those whose lives are affected by mental illness. These classes are offered free of charge but registration is required. For more information about these or any other programs, please call our office at (815) 308-0851.
For those diagnosed with a mental illness:
- Peer-to-Peer is a free, 10-week course for consumers which covers individual relapse prevention, debriefing/storytelling, and an advance directive for psychiatric care.
- WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) is a free, 6-8 week course for consumers developed by Dr. Mary Ellen Copeland. Designed to be a self-education opportunity to gain insight into one’s wellness in order to empower people to maintain optimal well being. Design a plan to respond to your needs at any level including being prepared for crisis.
For family and friends of adults:
- Family-to-Family is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illness that discusses the clinical treatment of these illnesses and teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively. Registration required.
For caregivers of children and adolescents:
- Visions for Tomorrow is a free, 12-week course for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness. Learn how the brain develops, how these illnesses occur, and ways to help both you and your child cope with and live effectively with a diagnosis.
- NAMI Basics is a free 6-week education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness which contains basic information that parents most need to help their child. Registration required.
- Smarts for Advocacy
- Mental Health First Aid
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- QPR-Question, Persuade, Refer
A wide variety of helpful books on topics related to mental illness may be checked out by dues-paying NAMI-MC members at our office, which is located at 620 Dakota Street, Crystal Lake, IL 60012.
NAMI sponsors community education programs and workshops throughout the year. If you would like a representative from NAMI to speak to your local church or organization, please call the NAMI-MC office at(815) 308-0851, or email@example.com