NAMI-MC offers an array of educational opportunities for those whose lives are affected by mental illness. NAMI-MC OFFERS THE COMMUNITY A WIDE VARIETY OF EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR THOSE WHOSE LIVES ARE AFFECTED BY MENTAL ILLNESS. These classes are offered free of charge but registration is required. For more information about these or any other programs, please call our office at (815) 308-0851.
For those diagnosed with a mental illness:
- Peer-to-Peer is a free, 10-week course for consumers which covers individual relapse prevention, debriefing/storytelling, and an advance directive for psychiatric care.
For family and friends of adults:
- Family-to-Family is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illness that discusses the clinical treatment of these illnesses and teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively. Registration required.
For caregivers of children and adolescents:
- Visions for Tomorrow is a free, 12-week course for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness. Learn how the brain develops, how these illnesses occur, and ways to help both you and your child cope with and live effectively with a diagnosis.
- NAMI Basics is a free 6-week education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness which contains basic information that parents most need to help their child. Registration required.
- Parents and Teachers as Allies is a 2-hour, in-service program focused on helping school professionals and families within the school community better understand the early warning signs of mental illness in children and adolescents and how best to intervene so that youth with mental health treatment needs are linked with services
A wide variety of helpful books on topics related to mental illness may be checked out by dues-paying NAMI-MC members at our office, which is located at 620 Dakota Street, Crystal Lake, IL 60012.
NAMI sponsors community education programs and workshops throughout the year. If you would like a representative from NAMI to speak to your local church or organization, please call the NAMI-MC office at(815) 308-0851, or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org